One Chai Frappuccino, with whipped cream please …

July 25, 2011 at 4:31 am 9 comments

On my trip to the US this summer, I noticed another new trend – the craze for Chai! This isn’t chai as we Indians know it, this is Chai – an evolution of tea in a coffee culture society. They have all the variants of coffee – latte, macchiato, frappuccino – but for tea.

So, you are standing in line to get your morning fix at a typical “coffee” shop (and I’m not just talking about Starbucks, I’m talking about all the smaller chains, local coffee shops, neighborhood bakeries) and you hear orders of Chai flying all about you. And in different varieties – “A small Chai latte mocha please”, “A large chai frappuccino, very little whipped cream”, “Chai macchiato in soy milk, no sugar”. And my first reaction was a gag reflex. I’m no tea connoisseur but tea with whipped cream! In soy milk! As a Frappuccino! With Mocha flavor! – I couldn’t digest.

BUT! Curiosity got the better of me and I ventured to try it one morning to see what the craze was about, whether this chai frappuccino was worth the hullaballoo it had created. My first sip, and I thought “what is this?”, second sip “this is interesting…”, third sip “Ya, I can taste the tea in it…” and by my fourth sip “I can get used to this…” and then on I was hooked!

I visited my aunt there and noticed she had switched from using tea leaves to using some Chai Latte pre-mix. And this is an aunt who is really fond of tea, I remember her fussing over taking back a particular brand of tea from India the last time she visited us.

I went grocery shopping there and what did I find? I found a whole range of ready-mixes for Chai Latte in multiple flavors (Vanilla, Spiced, Cardamom) by multiple brands.

So, all you tea aficionados out there – are you ready to try this?

By,

Roshni Jhaveri

Advertisements

Entry filed under: Category Evolution, Consumer behavior, Consumer Trends, International Trends, Observations, Product Innovation. Tags: , , , , , .

Insightful Innovation – The perfect fridge for Mrs. Dayal Crowdsourcing

9 Comments Add your own

• 1. sony@yahoo.com  |  July 25, 2011 at 8:29 am

The best cup give me !
    I think this will be the topic ~~

• 2. escapevelocityblog  |  July 25, 2011 at 11:35 am

Thanks Sony. Right you are, the title you suggest seems totally appropriate.
      Hope to see you commenting on our blog often.
      Regards,
      Zenobia

• 3. vps hosting forex  |  August 3, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Appreciate it for this marvellous post, I am glad I found this website on yahoo. cpanel vps | unmetered vps |

• 4. escapevelocityblog  |  August 8, 2011 at 10:30 am

Hi,
      Glad you liked the post. Do keep visiting the blog.
      Regards,
      Zenobia

• 5. availhosting review  |  August 5, 2011 at 9:34 pm

You have a fantastic looking website–hopefully mine will be like it one day. availhosting

• 6. Espresso Maker  |  August 11, 2011 at 8:31 am

I was wondered about that obsession with Chai latte as well. That was real discovery for me to find out so many variations of tee! Human mind is really, really very creative. However I still keep to espresso taste.

• 7. escapevelocityblog  |  August 11, 2011 at 10:14 am

Hi,

Thanks for your comments.
      Couldnt agree more, but like i said in my post – my first reaction was a gag reflex but once i tried it, i quite enjoyed it.
      But just like you, I continue to stick to coffee.

Regards,
      Roshni

• 8. website  |  May 23, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Just to let you know your webpage appears a little bit unusual on Firefox on my pc with Linux .

• 9. escapevelocityblog  |  May 24, 2012 at 8:04 am

Hi,
      Thanks for the information, will try and correct it.
      Glad you visited our blog.
      Regards,